A land survey is used to map the shape and precise boundaries of a lot or parcel of land. Land surveys are performed by licensed land surveyors in California. Surveys are typically needed for the following reasons:
• To establish exactly what is being purchased or sold;
• To resolve boundary disputes between adjoining land owners;
• To split or subdivide property;
• To establish the location of easements and utilities, including gas and water lines; and/or
• To establish CC&Rs and subdivision maps.
Most surveys are boundary surveys, ALTA surveys,as built surveys, and to establish legal descriptions.
Before You Make an Offer to Acquire Land