Landlocked Property

Landlocked properties have no legal access because they are surrounded by land owned by others. Owners of landlocked properties must either negotiate with a neighbor to obtain road access in the form of an easement or find a legal means to obtain access. This usually means hiring an experienced real estate litigation attorney. Often a neighboring landowner will provide access to the landlocked parcel because the development of the landlocked property is likely to increase the value of the property providing the access. If access cannot be obtained through negotiation, the owner of the landlocked property may be entitled to an easement by necessity. This can be granted by a court. To obtain an easement by necessity, you must be able to prove that both properties were at one time owned by the same party who failed to provide the necessary access. Call Michael Chulak if you need a referral to a knowledgeable real estate attorney.


Land Survey

Land Descriptions

Preliminary Title Reports

Before You Make an Offer to Acquire Land